Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Concept Mapping and Scaffolding

A research paper is no easy task, but it can be broken into smaller steps for students who need the scaffolding in place to succeed.  Were I to assign the research paper briefly described in my previous post, I would need to scaffold every step of the way for students who needed it.  One effective way of doing so is with concept maps or graphic organizers.  To start out the research project, for example, I could help students along with this organizer:
Of course, with an assignment like a research paper, there would be more steps than that - that's just the beginning.  As part of step 3, I might even ask students to organize and plan their paper using a tool like bubbl.us, the tool I used to create the map above.  The best part?  It's free!

Edit: The resolution is horrible on that... I'll try to find a way to fix that.
Edit 2: You can get a better resolution by viewing it on Imgur.  Zoom in for the full view.

No comments:

Post a Comment